Newcomer question on YUV acceleration

PhiloVivero pvspam-dntrepl at hacklab.net
Mon Apr 9 17:34:42 CEST 2001

Chris Jensen wrote:

> My next question was along similar lines:
> I'm after a card with YUV acceleration, TV out and reasonable (but no where
> near the latest technology) 3d acceleration.
> I was thinking of a riva tnt2 m64
> What do you guys recommend?

I also could not get YUV accel for the longest time. Finally, I downloaded
nVidia drivers for my TNT2 card. Now I get YUV accel.

I don't completely understand what requirements there are to get YUV accel,
but my guess is if you're using standard XFree86 drivers for your card, you're
not going to get it (???). I'm now doing XFree86 4.0.2 w/ the nVidia
"nvidia" driver as opposed to the XFree "nv" driver.

nVidia seem to be supportive of Linux in general w/ their RIVA TNT line of
cards and GeForce, too. Not as supportive as for Windows, but what can you
expect, marketplace what it is? Also not as supportive as 3dfx was, but
hopefully since they purchased 3dfx, there will be a little pro-Linux movement
from them.

I now have decent DVD playback on my RIVA TNT2, albeit with some pretty nasty
sound. Another thread mentions 48kHz playback, so I guess I need to figure out
if my card can do that. Who knows what's wrong w/ it.

--
philoVivero