First Impressions with vlc-0.2.70

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Tue Apr 10 13:40:30 CEST 2001

Hi everybody,

here my first impressions with the new version 0.2.70 of vlc.
1) Using vlc -V xvideo, I get great image quality,
   very smooth playback, and all this with around only
   20% to 30% CPU usage! This remains true even when
   I maximize the window! Very nice! Is there a fullscreen
   option for xvideo output like there is for SDL?
2) Sound seems to be problematic. I encounter the following
   problems:
   a) using --aout alsa does not work (exit -22), but I
      don't understand what the reason is. I use the
      alsa drivers and found mails saying that sound
      quality is better with using alsa instead of falling
      back to the oss emulation of alsa. Do I have to
      set some parameter?
   b) On some DVDs, sound is very low such that I bearly can
      understand the dialogs even with fully raised master
      level. Is there a way to improve this by internal
      settings in vlc?
   c) Selecting audio channels in the DVD "Contact" does not
      work properly. Selecting away from the default first
      audio channel (english) and later selecting it again
      yields no sound at all. However, I should add here that
      some Windows DVD players (e.g. Mediamatics) show the
      same bad behaviour.
3) Subtitles don't seem to work for me - I don't get any.
   Anyone else with the same problem?
4) The DVD "Dark City" won't play at all.
Otherwise: GREAT JOB!!

My system: Thinkpad A20p with PIII 750 MHz, 256 MB ram,
           Crystal Fusion sound card with alsa driver,
           ATI Rage 128 Mobility graphics card with 16 MB,
           SuSE 7.0 with XFree 4.0.1 and r128 driver out
           from CVS.

All the best
Michael

--