First Impressions with vlc-0.2.70

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Tue Apr 10 15:31:57 CEST 2001

Henri Fallon wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001, Michael Flohr wrote:
> >    a) using --aout alsa does not work (exit -22), but I
> >       don't understand what the reason is. I use the
> >       alsa drivers and found mails saying that sound
> >       quality is better with using alsa instead of falling
> >       back to the oss emulation of alsa. Do I have to
> >       set some parameter?
>
> If you're alsa driver works with aplay for example, there's no need to
> configure anything else.

Hmm, never checked this, since I usually run
KDE 2.0 which uses arts as sound server which
in turn talks to alsa.
When I want to use vlc, I simply suspend arts
and then it can grab /dev/dsp. However,
vlc --aout alsa (after suspend of arts) does
give the above error. I will check out whether
aplay works.

> What version of alsa are you using ?
> Are you using packaged vlc or home-built tar.gz ?

I use alsa 0.5.10
I built vlc myself from tar.gz source with alsa enabled
by configure.

Michael

--
|   M i c h a e l    F l o h r      _____      fax : +49 -(0)511 762 3023    |