DVD Sound

PhiloVivero pvspam-dntrepl at hacklab.net
Thu Apr 12 05:54:46 CEST 2001

Wade Majors wrote:

> AC-3, DTS, etc are by nature encoded using low volume sources. This
> gives the audio track more bandwidth headroom for "intense" stuff like
> explosions.
>
> This is totally normal, on software players as well as your set-top
> player. I would oppose any kind of "amp" in VLC.

Good call. Besides, it turned out that when I opened gmix, it set my levels to
a more appropriate setting. The answer, it seems, is to use your mixer
application to change volumes.

However, like XMMS, there could be a hook into the system volume (or is that
PCM? I can never remember). Notice that XMMS's volume control is a duplicate
of one of the mixer control settings.

On topic, still, I just played Dark City (because someone else on this list
said they couldn't play it, so I decided to try). It worked fine. Furthermore,
someone fixed the VLC sound. I assume this is because it's now using ALSA
which I actually have working on my system.

But finally, the sound is pretty far out-of-sync with the picture. Is this a
known bug, or should I start trying to characterise it?

--
PhiloVivero