Some vlc questions

Geoff Eddy geoff at morven.compulink.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 17:55:48 CEST 2001

Hello,

I've just got vlc (version 0.2.72) running for the first time (previous
versions crashed in various ways, but never mind), and it looks pretty good,
but I have a few questions:

- Can you single-step through frames at present? If not, is this planned for
a future release?

- Are there any plans to support menus and so on, as with standalone DVD
players?

- Can you change the aspect ratio?

- How would I go about adding control from the keyboard to start, pause and
stop, change chapters, titles and so on

A couple of things don't seem to work, however; can anyone help me
with these?

- I can't get subtitles to display at all.

- There's no sound! When I start vlc, I get this message:

  VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.72 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN

  intf: interface initialized
  aout error: can't set audio output rate (44100)
  aout error: audio initialization failed, audio is deactivated

Further investigation revealed that the ioctl() call which tries to set the
audio rate fails with errno = 22 (EINVAL, or "invalid argument"). If I try
"vlc -A esd", I get this:

  SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Invalid argument
  Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
  Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.

several times over with different numbers each time. Obviously my sound
configuration is wrong somewhere; can I fix it?

I'm running Red Hat 7.0 on an AMD 1GHz processor, on a motherboard with an
on-board SoundBlaster, using KDE 2.1 and kernel 2.4.0.

Merci beaucoup,

Geoff