compiling on MacOSX

DJ RawheaD rawhead at mac.com
Thu Apr 19 21:12:16 CEST 2001

Thanks for the kind response,

On 2001.04.20, at 03:02, Eric Carlson wrote:

> I think there might be an error in the makefile in 0.2.72 (I assume
> that's what you're using).

yes it is, I should've mentioned that in my first post.

> http://www.videolan.org/packages/snapshots/vlc-
> snapshot-20010419-00.tar.gz

OK, I tried it and it gave me the same error at the same place as my
last post (didn't have to ranlib, though).

There was some difference:

vlc.app now has an ICON (yippie--it has a yellow cone icon, whereas
before I only got the generic app icon).  And lo and behold, I actually
opened a .vob file and it started playing!!  Sound only!! (hehe)  And
for some strange reason, the sound gradually accelerated until
everything was all cartoonish....then crashed, of course.

> Also, if you're having problems, try downloading and installing the
> latest libSDL (http://www.libsdl.org/ ... not sure if this is still
> required) and libdl.

As far as I can see at the videoLAN webpage for 'vlc on MacOSX', the dl
library is the only other thing I need to install---not that I'm
unwilling to install libSDL.  It's just---you know.  OK, I confess, this
is the first time that I'm downloading something that actually needs to
be _compiled_ to run, and I am a little bit intimidated ;-)

> If vlc.app is misbehaving, check your console log (open the Console
> application) for errors since vlc.app puts messages there.

Certainly interesting info there.  Upon launch:

---------------------------
VideoLAN Client - version snapshot-20010419-00 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001
VideoLAN

intf: interface initialized
Allocate off screen image in VRAM
Allocate off screen image in VRAM
vout error: could not load default font
vout error: video initialization failed, video is deactivated

No wonder I get no video ;-)

> Oh, and don't worry about your questions being trivial... I just
> figured most of this stuff out within the past week or two :-)

Thanks for saying that.  I'll keep at it....but time to sleep for today
(past 4am, here in japan).  Nighty night.

RawheaD