compiling on MacOSX

Eric Carlson carl0240 at tc.umn.edu
Thu Apr 19 23:38:10 CEST 2001

On Thursday, April 19, 2001, at 02:45  PM, DJ RawheaD wrote:
> On 2001.04.20, at 04:37, Michael Butler wrote:
>> On Thursday, April 19, 2001, at 12:27 PM, DJ RawheaD wrote:
>>> Ahhh, perhaps this is the key?  I actually got the same error but
>>> forgot to include it in my post before the previous one.
>> Now I'm just confused.  Do you mean you never actually got it to
>> work?  You said you did... do you mean to type in all that stuff you
>> said at the bottom?  AGH!  Stop confusing me!
>
> It wasn't I that got it to work.  Eric got it to work.  vlc.app DID
> appear, and I COULD double click it to run.  However, as I said, no
> video, every once in a while I'll get audio only (all whacked up) but
> most of the time just crashes.  So I'm figuring vlc.app isn't being
> compiled correctly.

I should probably clarify what I meant by "work". vlc.app, immediately
after building, launched and correctly opened and played the first
minute or so of a vob file, video and audio, with no problems. I then
quit it and, when I re-launched it a few minutes later, unexpectedly
quit when I clicked on the same vob file in the Open file box. That
behavior has been typical of vlc.app since it started being built by
default a few weeks ago.

The command line vlc binary usually has worked better for me. However,
in its current state, it dies quickly with some malloc errors. I'm
guessing someone just broke something in one of the recent code changes
and this will be cleaned up shortly.

> <snip>
> Anyways I'll just have to be patient as always and wait for a WORKING
> build.
> Or better yet a binary distribution for dummies like me ;-)

If you want to keep up to date on the current status and changes to the
source, watch the CVS commit messages on the developer list (vlc-dev)
and either use CVS to grab the latest version of the source (directions
are on www.videolan.org) or get the latest CVS nightly tarball. I should
point out, however, that anything other than the release versions
(current is 0.2.72) will not necessarily work and are untested (less
tested than the release versions anyway :-) hence the issues we're
seeing with the nightly tarball I referenced.

Eric