Still problems with vlc 0.2.72

Geoff Eddy geoff at morven.compulink.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 23:04:36 CEST 2001

On Saturday 21 April 2001 06:39, PhiloVivero wrote:

> Christophe Massiot wrote:
> > I have the same problem with a VIA sound chip and I haven't solved it
> > yet. It seems to be a driver problem, so try another kernel. I was
> > told it could work with an ALSA driver.
>
> You say you have a VIA chipset. Do you get sound at all, or just no sound
> with VLC? I have the VIA chipset (on-board sound) and it took me a while,
> but now I get good sound all the time, with some quirks:

I odn't know about Christophe, but I can get sound out of other applications
with mo problems; it's just vlc which is silent.

> 1. When playing vlc, I *MUST* kill esd, or no sound.

Silly question, but how do I kill esd? It doesn't show up when I do "ps" or
"lsmod".

> Kernel 2.4.2, ALSA, OSS (both, if I understand my setup).

I have kernel 2.4.0 with OSS.

Here's some more diagnostic output when I try esd:

[geoff at morven geoff]$ vlc --aout esd
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.72 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN

intf: interface initialized
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 48Khz, 16bit stereo.
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit stereo.
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 16bit mono.
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit mono.
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit stereo.
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit mono.
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8.192Khz, 8bit mono.
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Invalid argument
Audio device open for 8.192Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8Khz, 8bit mono.
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Invalid argument
Sound device inadequate for Esound. Fatal.
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Invalid argument
aout error: can't open esound socket (format 0x00001021 at 44100 Hz)
aout error: audio initialization failed, audio is deactivated
vout: video display initialized (720x576, 32/32 bpp)
vout: YUV acceleration activated
intf: program terminated