how to play files over LAN

jeevo milkha singh jeevo at lycos.com
Mon Apr 30 18:36:02 CEST 2001

--

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:29:18
 Henri Fallon wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 30, 2001, jeevo milkha singh wrote:
>> The problem is that when I try to do so , the client (vlc) says :
>> NetworkOpen:can't connect socket
>
>The syntax is a bit strange, and it may be the reason :
>
>Before 0.2.73 :
>
>vlc --input ts server.somedomain.com
>
>0.2.73 and after :
>
>vlc ts://server[:port] the default port being 1234
>
>If you're using broadcast, it only works from 0.2.73 with a strange
>syntax :
>
>vlc --broadcast broadcast_addr ts://server[:port]
>
>and will soon be changed to :
>
>vlc ts://server[:port][::broadcast_addr] or something like that.
>
>--
>henri

Hi Henry,
I have vlc version < 0.2.73
so I tried vlc --input ts server.somedomain.com
....but I could not play the files. You did not what command I should give in the Mini Server (vlms)... Shouldn't it be the server who has to know the address of the client(vlc).... the client should only listen at some port and when it recieves the audio/video packets...it should play them.
    So that brings me back to 3 basic questions....
 1) what command should I give on the vlms?
 2) At what port does the vlc listen?
 3) The defalut port is mentioned as 1234. Isn't that a reserved port...?

Jeevo

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!