Xlib async error in 0.2.81

Jeremy Bailin jbailin at as.arizona.edu
Wed Aug 1 01:21:48 CEST 2001

On an Inspiron 4000 running RH7.1 with the ATI Rage 128 Mobility, I
followed Matt's advice and upgraded my XFree86 from 4.0.3 with the native
driver to 4.1.0 with the gatos driver.

Now I'm trying to get the xvideo plugin to work with 0.2.81 and coming
across an intermittent problem. About half the time, the window comes up
blank, the error "Xlib: unexpected async reply" comes up in the launching
xterm, and then a couple of seconds later vlc segfaults. The other half of
the time, it works perfectly. I can't detect any pattern to when it happens -
I can do the same sequence of events twice in a row, and it might well
work once and not work once. SDL and X11 work fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, more curiosity than anything else - why does the area in which the
picture is displayed not change while fullscreening using SDL but does
with the other plugins?

--
Jeremy Bailin            / "We have found that certain styles of
jbailin at as.arizona.edu  |  Haggar slacks actually grow *more*