More about XVideo

nick lidakis nick.lidakis at verizon.net
Wed Aug 1 05:07:26 CEST 2001

"David Gómez" wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Gildas Bazin wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 31 July 2001 9:27 am, David Gómez wrote:
> > >
> > > I've tried that, and tweaked with all the parameters from my dvd, but
> > > nothing changes. The DVD is fine, it worked flawlessly in windows.
> > >

> > Why don't you try the windows port of vlc ? If this works flawlessly then the
> > problem must be with your Linux installation (maybe the Xfree driver for the
> > Voodoo3 is just not good enough ?)
>
> Maybe because i don't have window installed
>
> > You could also try to play a vob file but not from the DVD (a trailer maybe
> > ?).
> > And you can also try another player like Xine, to see the difference.
>
> Yep, i'll try both, to see any difference with vlc
>
> Tanks
>
> David Gómez
>
> "The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
>  whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra

I have vlc on my IBM Thinkpad a22m. DVD playback rivals the mediamatics player
that came with the win98 installation. I'm using debian woody. Xfree is version
4.0.3. Video is via ATI Rage mobility 128 8Mb. The display is 1400x1050. Xvideo is
supported by this card in Xfree. Fullscreen and window DVD playback is a joy.
Makes me NOT want to use my desktop at times. Video playback on my desktop is VLC
using Voodod 3 3000 AGP. Using the SDL plugin, playback is watchable but not
nearly as sharp as the Thinkpad. Xvideo isn't supported for the Voodoo in XFree
4.0.3. I hear that is IS in Xfree 4.1. When 4.1
comes into the woody distro, things should play much smoother.

Hope this helps.