vlc with framebuffer

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Sun Aug 5 17:41:05 CEST 2001

On Sunday 05 August 2001 2:40 pm, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Ok, on to vlc : when I start vlc, it tries to use the XVideo
> port, and then complains it can't find it and segfaults.  Using SDL,
> basically the same thing, but a crash from SDL.  X11 is just a little too
> slow, so I can't use that either.
>
> So my questions :
>
> a) shouldn't vlc exit normally when not being able to get xvideo ?

This is one of the changes that have made it to the CVS since the last
release. Now vlc checks if your machine supports xvideo, and if not it will
default to the SDL (or X11 if you don't have SDL) plugin.

> b) there's an "fb" module in the vlc source, is this meant as an output
> module ? If so, can I expect better results with it ? Should I run it from
> X ? How can I make sure that's what it's using ?

I can't really tell you anything about the fb video output plugin since I've
never used it. But I wouldn't be suprised if this plugin was broken...
You can try anyway (you have to enable the frame buffer support in you
kernel).

--
Gildas