vlc with framebuffer

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Mon Aug 6 10:53:23 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > b) there's an "fb" module in the vlc source, is this meant as an output
> > module ? If so, can I expect better results with it ? Should I run it from
> > X ? How can I make sure that's what it's using ?
> >
> I can't really tell you anything about the fb video output plugin since I've
> never used it. But I wouldn't be suprised if this plugin was broken...
> You can try anyway (you have to enable the frame buffer support in you
> kernel).

Well, as far as I can tell from looking at it and trying it out, it should
be run from the command line (as in not in X) but the UI depends on X.  So
any clues on what I can do here ? Is there a cli ?

OTOH, I've finally found the trick to use both the framebuffer device and
the mga driver for the matrox together, so now I have XVideo working on
both the monitor and the TV screen in clone mode.

Now it seems that vlc is somehow losing sync once in a while; I have
smooth playback overall but sometimes the frames are jerky and then
they're smooth again for long periods of time.  I'm not sure what it is
yet.  All the while xine plays the DVD almost perfectly (I'm not trying to
suggest xine is better, actually vlc has given me much better results
overall), so I don't think it's an X thing.

Thomas

Please put me somewhere near the sea
With one carrion angel waiting for me
who'll be holding my heart in it's hand
But most of all I'd like to go with a friend
<-*- thomas at apestaart.org -*->