Fwd: Problem when calling vlc on SuSE 7.0

Craig Orsinger cjorsinger at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 6 02:40:35 CEST 2001

On 2001.08.05 12:49:14 -0700 Renaud Dartus wrote:

	[snip]

> > won't be able to use the accelerated plugins (mmx, sse, 3dn).
>
> SSE instruction (for Pentium III or 4) are only supported by 2.4
> kernels, but vlc should detect if SSE instructions are ok for your
> system. 3D Now! and MMX instructions should work on 2.2 kernels.
>
> Could you please send to the mailing-list more informations about your
> processor (cat /proc/cpuinfo) and your kernel options, for debugging
> purpose, thanks.

	I'm not the original poster, but I am also seeing this message.
Vlc works fine, but it does take up an inordinate amount of CPU time
(120% or so, see "cat /proc/cpuinfo" below). Mine is a 2.2.19 kernel
built for the i686 architecture on a RedHat 6.2 system.

Here's the cpuinfo output:

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping	: 3
cpu MHz		: 751.719
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
sep_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr xmm
bogomips	: 1500.77

processor	: 1
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping	: 3
cpu MHz		: 751.719
cache size	: 256 KB#
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
sep_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr xmm
bogomips	: 1500.77

	I've also tried using the latest Intel microcode updates.

	Needless to say, SMP and the MTRR features are enabled. Here's the
CPU block
from the kernel build config file:

# Processor type and features
#