Fwd: Problem when calling vlc on SuSE 7.0

Renaud Dartus reno at via.ecp.fr
Sun Aug 5 21:49:14 CEST 2001

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001, Gildas Bazin wrote:
> Ok, I think this is why. I'm not sure but I think I remember someone saying
> that the cpu capabilities detection of vlc are only working on a 2.4.* kernel.
>
> If you stick with 2.2.16, it shouldn't prevent you from running vlc, but you
> won't be able to use the accelerated plugins (mmx, sse, 3dn).

SSE instruction (for Pentium III or 4) are only supported by 2.4
kernels, but vlc should detect if SSE instructions are ok for your
system. 3D Now! and MMX instructions should work on 2.2 kernels.

Could you please send to the mailing-list more informations about your
processor (cat /proc/cpuinfo) and your kernel options, for debugging
purpose, thanks.

--
Reno