installation issues

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Mon Aug 6 22:34:07 CEST 2001

On Monday 06 August 2001 9:11 pm, Joshua M. Phillips wrote:
> Ok, I gave up on trying to build myself.  I have now installed the Redhat
> 7.1 rpms that were released today.  Here is the error that I am now
> getting:
>
> $ vlc dev=/dev/cdrom/
> VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.81 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN
>
> vout error: no suitable Xvideo image input port
> vpar error: can't open vout, aborting.

That means your system doesn't support the Xvideo extension for Xfree. (in
the cvs version of vlc we now detect this and try to use another video output
plugin, instead of just exiting).

You can try to use the basic x11 video output plugin (vlc --vout x11) or the
sdl plugin (vlc --vout sdl). These should work.

--
Gildas