installation issues

Joshua M. Phillips josh at scoreboardinc.com
Mon Aug 6 22:58:27 CEST 2001

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Gildas Bazin illustriously signified the following:

> On Monday 06 August 2001 9:11 pm, Joshua M. Phillips wrote:
> > Ok, I gave up on trying to build myself.  I have now installed the Redhat
> > 7.1 rpms that were released today.  Here is the error that I am now
> > getting:
> >
> > $ vlc dev=/dev/cdrom/
> > VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.81 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN
> >
> > vout error: no suitable Xvideo image input port
> > vpar error: can't open vout, aborting.
> >

> That means your system doesn't support the Xvideo extension for Xfree. (in
> the cvs version of vlc we now detect this and try to use another video output
> plugin, instead of just exiting).
>
> You can try to use the basic x11 video output plugin (vlc --vout x11) or the
> sdl plugin (vlc --vout sdl). These should work.

YEAH!...now we're getting somewhere. --vout x11 works; --vout sdl doesn't
work.  However, the output is really "choppy", almost as if the processor
is max'ing out, but when the dvd is playing the cpu is at 70-90% idle.
Are there any other options that I can use to fix this?

Josh

--
Joshua M. Phillips
Data Operations Engineer
josh at scoreboardinc.com
work:	703-713-9755
direct:	703-713-9289
cell:	703-856-0380
fax:	703-713-9766

This e-mail is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  Any
review, dissemination, copying, printing, or other use of this e-mail by
persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited.  If you
have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately
and delete the material from any computer.