sync issues

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Tue Aug 7 13:41:43 CEST 2001

Hi everyone,

Ok, now that I have the framebuffer device being used by the mga driver,
I'm able to have overlaying and XVideo extensions and stuff while seeing
everything on the TV screen.

Then the weird thing : using xine gives very good results, it runs full
screen and only a few glitches (mostly a given upper block which is offset
by a few pixels to the right at times - I suppose this is because
sometimes xine seems to skip really fast between current and coming scenes
for some reason).  It's very watchable.
When I turn on subtitles in xine, it gives all sorts of flicker at times.
Not too good.

However, using vlc gives me weird video output.  At first you'd think that
it can't keep up the video output, but that's not really it.  It runs fine
for a few seconds, then jerks a bit, then goes fine again.  I should think
that, on a 1 GHz, with xvideo working, it should run really smooth, no ?

So my question is, what path should I take ?

a) should I specifically re-compile vlc first from scratch and turn on
optimizations for my arch ? What should I choose for an Athlon
Thunderbird, is arch athlon ok ?

b) What sort of debugging should I be looking at ? Is vlc known to have
issues like this or should it work on my system ?

c) does the actual screen resulation make a difference ?
For example, since dvd's are mostly at 720x568, would it be a good idea to
run X at that resolution, so that vlc doesn't need to rescale ? Can I
force that ?

d) something unrelated : sometimes subtitles work, and sometimes they
don't.   I haven't checked into it much yet, but are subtitles supposed to
work fully ?

Thanks,
thomas

If lovin' you is wrong