VLC 2.82 on RH 7.2

Hamish Marson hmarson at attglobal.net
Sun Aug 19 13:47:48 CEST 2001

brash wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a Toshiba Satellite with a 1GHz Pentium III processor and an
> NVidia GeForce2go graphics chip.  I have the NVidia drivers properly
> installed, and 3D games (like quake III arena) run killer.
>
> I downloaded VLC 2.82 and compiled from source.  SDL and xvideo both claim
> to be supported, but when I try to run it with either, all I get is a
> giant block of solid blue where the video should be.  Audio plays fine.
>
> If I use the x11 plugin, it works o.k. except it's slow and choppy.  I
> could swear someone just recently mentioned having it working fine on
> an NVidia chip...
>
> Any suggestions?  Your help is much appreciated.

Did you try retsrating your XServer and running vlc immediately after
restarting? I have something very similiar on a Thinkpad A20p, with the ATI
Rage Mobility 128 chipset.
If I run vlc after restarting the XServer, it works like a charm. Full
screen, or windowed, with either XVideo or SDL. NO diff in performance that
is easily observable, other than the annoying clicks in the sound now &
again. Windowed resolution i'm using is 1200x675 at 32bpp or 16 bpp. (XServer
is 24 bit).

After ibernating with X running though I just get a black window (Might be
very very dark blue though). Even if you leave vlc running when it wakes up,
the screen is suddenly black. The same in windowed and full screen.

Not sure whether to suspect X, or vlc... I have a couple of other SDL
programs that don't exhibit the same behaviour...

Oh. My X is 4.10, and Kernel is 2.4.4...

--

I don't suffer from Insanity...
        I enjoy every minute of it...