Voodoo 3 working better

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Thu Aug 23 10:37:04 CEST 2001

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 10:17:09PM +1200, PhiloVivero wrote:
>  - sound doesn't quite sync with video ever (it's close most of the time)

I found out the hard way that this can be a problem of your sound
architecture. it seems that with some plugins, sound never syncs
correctly. alsa seemed to be the worst offender in this category.

> My hypothesis 1: I'm running out of RAM as the video stream is cached, and
> once the disk starts paging, the 3-4 seconds of nastiness ensues. It then gets
> a grip and gets back on track for a while.

unlikely. I have 256 MB and I've watched several DVDs by now with no
memory trouble.

> My hypothesis 2: No-one ever gets perfectly sync'd sound/video (is this
> true?).

can't say "perfect", but it's good enough to LOOK perfect here.