Voodoo 3 working better

PhiloVivero phiviv at hacklab.net
Wed Aug 22 12:17:09 CEST 2001

I have some questions for everyone, esp. Rich and Dave.

I have a very fast system with a *LOT* of RAM (Athlon 800, 396MB) and a TNT2.

I will be able to watch upwards of about 5-10 minutes of movie with only minor
issues:

 - sound doesn't quite sync with video ever (it's close most of the time)
 - sound wobbles, only noticable when music is playing

After several minutes, however, the video will get real choppy for about 3-4
seconds (painful) after which the sound is way out-of-sync with the video
(usually way behind) and so you'll hear everyone talking all high-pitched for
about 20 seconds while it re-syncs.

My hypothesis 1: I'm running out of RAM as the video stream is cached, and
once the disk starts paging, the 3-4 seconds of nastiness ensues. It then gets
a grip and gets back on track for a while.

My hypothesis 2: No-one ever gets perfectly sync'd sound/video (is this
true?).

My hypothesis 3: No-one ever gets non-choppy playback throughout a whole movie
unless they just don't have a swap partition enabled (is this true?).

It'd be good to find out if I'm the only one experiencing these symptoms
(ie: I need to work on my system) or if everyone does (ie: I need to work on
VLC).

Any answers?

--
PhiloVivero