Test

Vincet Osterhout vincet_o at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 07:55:07 CET 2001

I first complied xfree 4.1.0 from source on mandrake 8.0 No Xvideo on my
rage 128 pro chip, after patching  with gatos source  I had full xvideo
support (I also had to compile the the os support to make it work right).  I
upgraded my install to madndrake 8.1 ,  same error again I patched and
compiled again and had full support.  It may be the DRI  modules that I load
also.  I am currently in Winblows 2k so I dont have my Xfree log or config
file handy.

I dont know if there are two levels of support or not I had to do the gatos
patches to enable my tuner on my all-in-wonder pro 128.  It may be the
distro you are useing (I have heard that some distros have the gatos/DRI
intergrated in the xfree86 for rage 128 but I dont know for sure)

With Gatos Xine and aviplay run smoother, and full screen works much better.
When I boot next into a real os I will send both my log and config file to
the mailing list or directly.

Currently the box I run this off of is this config

dual p3 500/512
Tyan tiger 100 (bx chipset)
896 megs of ram
Isa Scsi (aha 1522b)
Pci Adaptec raid
3 ide hd, 1 IDE DVD
4 scsi cd-rom, 2 scsi cdr
32 meg Ati all-in-wonder pro (agp)
2 meg matrox melliem 2  as the second head (no xvideo, only software here)
sb live value (4 speakers connected)

One thing I did have do was from the OMS install info
(http://www.linuxvideo.org) was turn the whole archive (libs) to shared to
enable it all to work correctly.

I know some video players will use spare video ram as a buffer for video
frames just like the pixmap cache and please correct me if I wrong but is
not the a20 a 8 meg video card? ( I run the primary monitor at 1600x1200x16
and the secondary at 800x600x16)

Other neat thing about xine was useing my older double speed dvd drive I
could play the same dvd with 1/2 hour diffrence in time on BOTH monitors
(one useing xvideo and one useing software) with no frame or audio problems.
I have not yet been able to get VLC working but my source is VERY old I will
have to try the newest because I would like to multicast it to the other 13
machines in the house includine my old sparc server 10, hp-ux box and a
older 8100/80 mac running mklinux.

If I can do anything to help please let me know.  This is just my own
experince over the past couple of years trying to get xine, oms, vlc, and
xvideo to work on the hardware I have here at my house.

Vince

P.S. Please ignore my spelling as that is my weakest point,   I can rember
complex commands and command line flags but I spell like an 8 year old.....
Go figure