DVD ioctls error message

Patrick Dugal pdugal at nortelnetworks.com
Thu Dec 6 16:52:16 CET 2001

Hi all,

I am using Linux Red Hat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2-2) as a guest OS inside
VMWare on top of Windows XP and am getting an error message regarding DVD
ioctls.  There is no problem with reading regular files from the DVD ROM
from linux but I tried ogle and vlc and ran into the an issue with the DVD
ioctls supposedly not being part of the kernel.  In the DVD Howto, I have
read that it is supposed to be included in 2.4 kernels.  I am not concerned
about sound for the moment.  I believe the drive is a Pioneer DVD.  I
downloaded and installed libdvdcss-1.0.0 and also tried a previous version,
I can't get past this problem with ioctls still (see error below).

I need to know what steps I should follow to get this to work.  Here
is the output I have.

Any help would be appreciated.  Please reply to pdugal at nortelnetworks.com

Pat

[mdugal at localhost mdugal]$ vlc dvd:/dev/dvd
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.91 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN

libdvdcss error: css error: ioctl_ReadCopyright failed, make sure there is a

DVD
in the drive, and that DVD ioctls were compiled in this libdvdcss version
libdvdcss error: CSS test failed
aout error: can't open esound socket (format 0x00001021 at 44100 Hz)

[mdugal at localhost mdugal]$ vlc -vvvvvvvvvv dvd:/dev/dvd
VideoLAN Client - version 0.2.91 Ourumov - (C)1996-2001 VideoLAN

intf: playlist initialized
intf: added `dvd:/dev/dvd' to playlist
module: checking built-in modules
module: new builtin module `es', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Elementary Stream input
module
module: new builtin module `ps', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Program Stream input
module
module: new builtin module `ts', ISO 13818-1 MPEG Transport Stream input
module
module: new builtin module `yuv', YUV transformations module
module: new builtin module `idct', IDCT module
module: new builtin module `idctclassic', classic IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motion', motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `imdct', AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmix', AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `yuvmmx', MMX YUV transformations module
module: new builtin module `idctmmx', MMX IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motionmmx', MMX motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `idctmmxext', MMX EXT IDCT module
module: new builtin module `motionmmxext', MMXEXT motion compensation module
module: new builtin module `imdct3dn', 3D Now! AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmix3dn', 3D Now! AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `imdctsse', SSE AC3 IMDCT module
module: new builtin module `downmixsse', SSE AC3 downmix module
module: new builtin module `dvd', DVD input module, linked with libdvdcss
module: new builtin module `vcd', basic VCD input module
module: new builtin module `dummy', dummy functions module
module: new builtin module `null', the Null module that does nothing
module: new builtin module `rc', remote control interface module
module: new builtin module `xvideo', XVideo extension module
module: checking plugin modules
module: browsing `.'
module: browsing `plugins'
module: browsing `/usr/lib/videolan/vlc'
module: new plugin module `dsp', Linux OSS /dev/dsp module
module: new plugin module `esd', EsounD audio module
module: new plugin module `fb', Linux console framebuffer module
module: new plugin module `sdl', Simple DirectMedia Layer module
module: new plugin module `x11', X11 module
module: module bank initialized
module: rc has score 2
module: dummy has score 1
module: locking module `rc'
intf: interface initialized
libdvdcss error: css error: ioctl_ReadCopyright failed, make sure there is a

DVD
in the drive, and that DVD ioctls were compiled in this libdvdcss version
libdvdcss error: CSS test failed
input: playlist item `dvd:/dev/dvd'
module: dummy has score 1
module: vcd has score 5
module: dvd has score 100
module: ts has score 2
module: ps has score 10
module: es has score 5
module: locking module `dvd'
dvd info: netlist initialized
ifo info: vmg initialized
dvd info: number of titles: 35
ifo info: vts 2 initialized
dvd: title 1 vts_title 1 pgc 1
dvd info: title: 1
    vobstart at: 617386 blocks
    stream size: 2874533 blocks
    number of chapters: 38
    number of angles: 1
dvd info: video
    compression: mpeg-2
    tv system: ntsc 525/60 Hz
    aspect ratio: 16:9
    display mode: letterboxed
    line21-1: data present in GOP
    line21-2:
    source res: 720x480 ntsc or 720x576 pal
    letterboxed: no
    mode: camera
dvd info: audio 1
    language: English
    mode: ac3
    channel(s): 6
    sampling: 48000 Hz
    appl_mode: not specified
    caption:
    quantization: drc
    status: 0
dvd info: audio 2
    language: English
    mode: ac3
    channel(s): 2
    sampling: 48000 Hz
    appl_mode: not specified
    caption:
    quantization: drc
    status: 1
dvd info: audio 3
    language: English
    mode: ac3
    channel(s): 2
    sampling: 48000 Hz
    appl_mode: not specified
    caption:
    quantization: drc
    status: 2
dvd info: spu 1
    caption: 0
    language: English
    prefix: 100
    status: 4:3 0 wide 0 letter 1 pan 0
module: downmixsse has score 200
module: downmix3dn has score 0
module: downmix has score 50
module: locking module `downmixsse'
module: imdctsse has score 200
module: imdct3dn has score 0
module: imdct has score 50
module: locking module `imdctsse'
module: motionmmxext has score 200
module: motionmmx has score 150
module: motion has score 50
module: locking module `motionmmxext'
module: idctmmxext has score 200
module: idctmmx has score 150
module: idctclassic has score 100
module: idct has score 50
module: locking module `idctmmxext'
esd: Failed to fix mode of /tmp/.esd to 1777.
Try -trust to force esd to start.
esd: Esound sound daemon unable to create unix domain socket:
/tmp/.esd/socket
The socket is not accessible by esd.
Exiting...

module: unlocking module `idctmmxext'
module: unlocking module `motionmmxext'
aout: no aout present, spawning one
module: sdl has score 40
module: esd has score 50
module: dsp has score 0
module: dummy has score 1
module: locking module `esd'
intf error: signal 2 received, exiting

aout error: can't open esound socket (format 0x00001021 at 44100 Hz)

[root at localhost /dev]# ls -l | grep hda
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Dec  5 19:21 cdrom1 -> /dev/hda
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Dec  5 21:05 dvd -> /dev/hda
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,   0 Mar 23  2001 hda
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,   1 Mar 23  2001 hda1
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,  10 Mar 23  2001 hda10
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,  11 Mar 23  2001 hda11
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,  12 Mar 23  2001 hda12
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,  13 Mar 23  2001 hda13
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,  14 Mar 23  2001 hda14
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,  15 Mar 23  2001 hda15
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,  16 Mar 23  2001 hda16
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,   2 Mar 23  2001 hda2
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,   3 Mar 23  2001 hda3
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,   4 Mar 23  2001 hda4
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,   5 Mar 23  2001 hda5
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,   6 Mar 23  2001 hda6
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,   7 Mar 23  2001 hda7
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,   8 Mar 23  2001 hda8
brw-rw-rw-    1 root     disk       3,   9 Mar 23  2001 hda9

Same error with permissions set to "brw-rw----"