VLS 0.3.1 and VLC 2.9.1 Comments and Problems

vincet Osterhout vincet_o at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 9 08:18:38 CET 2001

Finally got VLS working only prob is that it seems to segfault and 1/2 to
2/3 of the way through a dvd (VLC connecting from windows and from linux
does not matter)

Cant get the channel to work from a vlc client (error no response from vls
tcpdump reports no response from port 6010 (default port in vlc) IF I just
have one program and just connect to ip and port the program plays till the
server segfaults (have used both a mpeg1 file and dvds) and I get constant
error messages on the term with the vls running "ASSERT ERROR in
src/server/buffer.cpp line 72 (code checked: !iRc)"  reapeats over and over
and
In src/server/tsstreamer.cpp line 293 -> Adusting timer discontinuity for
pgrm dvd

Would like to know HOW to mulitcast right  now I can only unicast to one
machine

VLC on the dvd Lost in space has about a 1/2 to 1 second de-sync on audio
(both local and over VLS)

Good job comments.....
vls uses 1.7 percent of my cpu to stream a dvd over my lan (this is very
impressive)

My config.

Dual p3 500/512 on a tyan tiger 100 bx chipset board
896 megs ram
16x ide dvd
Kernel 2.4.8-26mdkenterprise on mandrake 8.1
SB live value
isa adaptec 1522b scsi (CDr and Cdrom controller)
pci 3200s Adaptec Raid (3 hds not in raid config)
Ati-all-in-wonder Pro 128 AGP 32 meg with the Gatos drivers for XFree 4.1.0
on a custome compile of the ati.2 drivers
3 com 10/100 nic on a 100 mbts duplex switch network.

Tesing machines
dual p2 xeon 400/1m with 4 meg riva 128 agp card (100 mbts nic) Linux only
Cele 600 with a AGP  Rage 128 gl chipset 128 megs ram on a tyan tusnami At
bx board running win2k at 800x600 res

I have also tested useing my dual p3 500 useing vls over "lo" to read the
stream

Next machines to test the client from

hp 715/64 running hpux 9 and Xfree 5
Power mac 8100/80 runing Mklinux DR3
Sparc server 10 (dual 40 mhz 32 bit sparcs running mandrake linux 7.1

Keep up the good work

Vince