Newbie Question: Problems on Mac OS X

Andreas Gschwendtner a.gschwendtner at gmx.de
Sun Dec 16 14:47:32 CET 2001

On Sonntag, Dezember 16, 2001, at 06:33  Uhr, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> There seems to be no link from the download section directly to the
> 0.2.92-pre1 version. But it's on the ftp server - here is the link
> ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.2.92/macosx/vlc-0.2.92-pre1.dmg.gz

Problem here! (sorry...): I get an "permission denied" error when trying
to follow this link :-(

>> I will try to compile vlc myself if you think that might help, I just
>> didn't have the time yet (I will have to read through a lot of docs, as
>> I never compiled anything on a unix system so far. I have made my whole
>> computer experience with Windows PCs and Macs, Mac Os X is my very
>> first
>> contact with a unix system :) ).
>
> It's not difficult. You need to install the Developer Tools from the cd
> that
> came with OSX. The you extract the sources into some directory, let's
> say
> /Users/foo/vlc

There were no developer tools that came with my Powerbook, I think it's
just a little bit too old for that... But I know how to get a developer
tools CD and then I will try to compile :)

greetings, Andreas