Newbie Question: Problems on Mac OS X

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Sun Dec 16 06:33:40 CET 2001

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 01:02:21PM +0100, Andreas Gschwendtner wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> I downloaded the precompiled binary from www.videolan.org. The file was
> named vlc-0.2.91-MacOSX.tar.gz. When I installed and ran this binary
> however, in the "vlc"-->"About" menu it displays version number 0.2.90 -
> I always found this strange...
> I just visited the videolan homepage but couldn't find a precompiled
> 0.2.92-pre1 version - could you e-mail me a llink where I can download
> it?

There seems to be no link from the download section directly to the
0.2.92-pre1 version. But it's on the ftp server - here is the link
ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.2.92/macosx/vlc-0.2.92-pre1.dmg.gz

> I will try to compile vlc myself if you think that might help, I just
> didn't have the time yet (I will have to read through a lot of docs, as
> I never compiled anything on a unix system so far. I have made my whole
> computer experience with Windows PCs and Macs, Mac Os X is my very first
> contact with a unix system :) ).

It's not difficult. You need to install the Developer Tools from the cd that
came with OSX. The you extract the sources into some directory, let's say
/Users/foo/vlc

After this, you open a terminal, change to the /Users/foo/vlc directory, and
type
./configure
make

If there was no error, you should have a vlc.app in /Users/foo/vlc

greetings, Florian Pflug