How to turn plugin support off?

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Thu Feb 15 22:42:43 CET 2001

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 12:47:03PM -0500, Lavall?e Marc wrote:
> I have a few questions for the vlc team:
> How can you manage to include decss support legally? Is it only illegal
> in the U.S.?

at this time, not even that. the MPAA trial is in appeals, and anyways
it only affects 2600. anyone chickening out of using/distributing decss
does so on his or her own choice.

europe doesn't (yet) have a DMCA-like law. in other words: copying DVDs
is illegal, having decss is not. we don't jail people for posession of
chainsaws, either, even though chainsaws have been used for killings.

> What the École Centrale de Paris thinks about all this? Do
> they know, endorse or don't care about what you're doing, now that vlc
> is a project under the GPL?

I'd be interested in that, too. does the school know the political
implications?

--
-- http://www.lemuria.org
-- http://www.Nexus-Project.net