How to turn plugin support off?

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Thu Feb 15 22:52:40 CET 2001

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 02:08:54PM -0500, Lavall?e Marc wrote:
> > Not a big deal, since we don't even use DeCSS but
> > a new implementation of the CSS decryption scheme.
>
> I thought the problem was not about the algorithm, but the hack
> itself... This is all very confusing.

the original decss implementation is more in danger of being illegal
than the various re-implementations because it uses a player key from
the xing software, which - as the MPAA argues - has been acquired under
unkosher circumstances. specifically, the license of the xing software
disallows reverse-engineering.
however, there are 2 points there. one: the license was not necessarily
accepted and even if it was, the validity of shrink- or click-wrap
licenses is highly questionable, so the license may be invalid anyways.
but even if it is not, the disassembly was done, according to my
sources, in either germany or norway, both of which allow
reverse-engineering for compatability purposes.

the reimplementations do not use the xing key (which has been disabled
in recent DVDs anyways), so it's just the algorithm. except in one
unimportant backwater country where they passed a law that makes
entering a shop through the back door an automatic shoplifting, no
matter your real intentions.

--
-- http://www.lemuria.org
-- http://www.Nexus-Project.net