Jerky playback

Chris Jensen christopher.jensen at studentmail.newcastle.edu.au
Fri Jul 6 15:13:01 CEST 2001

Hi,
I've got vlc running now with x11 output (the other two still segfault). But
the playback is kind of choppy and I think sometimes the audio slides faster
and slower causing the pitch of music being played to slide.
It starts out dropping about every 10 or so frames but as I get to the end
of a movie it seems to be more like every second frame.
Looking at top as this happens, the cpu usage starts out at about 65% user
but goes towards 75% user, and about 24% nice. Almost all of my 64 megs of
memory is in use, and there are 4 vlc processes listed as using 25.1% of
memory, and that grows to about 29% each.
I'm playing on an AMD Athlon 750MHz, with a Riva TNT M64, so I would've
thought this would be adequate to decode fast enough for full screen
playback, the disc reading certainly isn't at maximum.
I used the --yuv yuv option, i'm not sure if yuv acceleration is being used,
I'm not getting any errors saying that yuv acceleration is unavailable like
other people have seen, but I can't see anything to confirm that it is being
used either.
I'm using vlc2.8.0, linux 2.4.6 and xfree 4.1.0 with the nvidia module
provided by nvidia, using agpgart.
Can anyone help out with this?
Chris Jensen