unable to play dvds

Ryan Reddy rred8594 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 07:16:39 CEST 2001

First off, I have looked at the FAQ page, and the docs
page before posting.  I have had trouble playing DVDs
with VLC.  I was able to install VLC from an .rpm with
no problem.  I started up the GUI and gave it the name
of my dvd player (/dev/cdrom) and it brought up
another window that was black but did not respond.
After that the gui interface also crashed.  In the
terminal window in which I used to start VLC I
received an error like bad video input port or
something.  I am now unable to shut the windows that
were opened and my dvd will now eject.  Here are my
system details:

Dell 8100 pentium 4 1.3 GhZ w/256 mb RAM
RedHat 7.1
Samsung DVD player instantly recognized by RedHat
NVIDIA GeForce II MX video card w/TV out

Thanks in advance.