unable to play dvds

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Mon Jul 9 07:58:14 CEST 2001

On Monday 09 July 2001 6:16 am, Ryan Reddy wrote:

>In the terminal window in which I used to start VLC I
> received an error like bad video input port or
> something.  I am now unable to shut the windows that
> were opened and my dvd will now eject.

I've got exactly the same problem because my system doesn't support the
Xvideo output ( Xvideo output provides the better performance than the x11
output because it can do direct YUV Overlay ).
The problem is that vlc doesn't handle well the fact that you asked to use
Xvideo output but this one is not supported by your video card.

Instead you can try to run "vlc --vout x11" this should work.

I'm working on a patch which should at least avoid this segfault and will
also close gracefully the black window.

>  Here are my system details:
> NVIDIA GeForce II MX video card w/TV out

You could go to the nvidia web site and downlowd their linux drivers, they
support Xvideo. I think the drivers in XFree 4.0.2 also support Xvideo.

--
Gildas