FreeBSD and ports vs. vlc

Jacob Frelinger jolly at gibbon.kungfumonkey.com
Mon Jul 9 16:08:40 CEST 2001

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:

> Upon reading that vlc would compile and run on FreeBSD-system I've tried
> for the last couple of hours to do just that... in vain. Almost all
> plugins fails to build though gnome, kde, sdl etc. are installed.
>
> I believe the problem lies with the way FreeBSD's port-system installs the
> various libraries. Eg. vlc chokes when it can't find ...SDL/SDL.h, but it
> should look in SDL11/SDL.h instead. Same goes for gtk12, qt2, kde2 and
> possible others as well.
>
> So I'm not able to compile vlc on FreeBSD unless I reinstall gtk, gnome,
> qt, kde, sdl, whatever manually and thus breaking the whole system. :-(

not nessicary.  i've gotten both 2.80 and a snapshot from july 3rd running
with only a little tweaking.
my simple howto...
1 ran config as
"env GTK_CONFIG=/usr/X11R6/bin/gtk12-config ./configure --enable-sdl
--enable-gnome"
2 edit Makefile.opts
  i. added ppro to ARCH line
  ii. added -pthread to CFLAGS line
  iii. replaced -lSDL with -L/usr/local/include on the LIB_SDL line
  iv. added -i/usr/local/include on CFLAGS_SDL line
  v. i'm personaly wary of gcc optiminaztion above -O so i dropped it from
-O3 to -O, and i've generaly found that it doesn't improve preformance
noticbly.

make and build as usual.

i've been quite pleased with vlc's prefomance under FreeBSD.  i just
currently with my laptop supported xvideo, as i've been lead to belive its
output preformance is much better then x11 and sdl.

--
Jacob "I'm Brainy For Zombie Pops" Frelinger
Resident Psycho http://www.thecoffinclub.com