FreeBSD and ports vs. vlc

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen mekanix at privat.dk
Mon Jul 9 17:03:09 CEST 2001

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:08:40 -0400 (EDT)
Jacob Frelinger <jolly at gibbon.kungfumonkey.com> wrote:

> make and build as usual.

Looks similar to the solution Scott Lambert posted. How much improvement
do one get by adding ppro to the ARCH-line?

> i've been quite pleased with vlc's prefomance under FreeBSD.  i just
> currently with my laptop supported xvideo, as i've been lead to belive
> its
> output preformance is much better then x11 and sdl.

I'm using xvideo as well (gave up on sdl ;)) but i get "a lot" of
jerkiness (late picture skipped), which puzzles me. My CPU-meter that
performance lies aroung 60%-70%, so the jerkiness isn't due to lack of
cpu-power and the dvd-drive is located on the 2nd IDE-port shared with a
idle cdrom-drive AND dma-active. So that shouldn't be it either. Xine
doesn't seem to have that problem.

Sound isn't as good as xine either. Latency/delayed sound and poor
quality. And then the gnome-interface seems to segfault quite easily! ;)

But all in all, I'm impressed as well looking forward to see where it all
ends! ;)

Bjarne