vlc xvideo

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Wed Jul 11 12:05:06 CEST 2001

Hi,

in some recent messages people reported difficulties
with the xvideo plugin of vlc. It was suggested to
check whether the xvideo extension of XFree does
work with other programs such as xine in order to
pinpoint the source of the problem.

I would like to report here that for me
(with an ATI rage 128 mobility) vlc offers xvideo
output with great performance and really good
image quality. However, I cannot get xine to
use the Xv extension. Xine compiles fine including
Xv support, but when I start it, it refuses to give me
video output. I have to fall back to the much slower
Xshm option.

So it seems that use of the Xv extension is quite non-trivial
and depends on the way it is implemented. Maybe,
xine wants to make use of features vlc doesn't, or maybe
xine is not that good in initializing it, or ...?

For completeness: I run XFree 4.0.1 with a r128_drv.o module
from CVS, which is supposed to have (better) Xvideo support.

Michael