Performances

Jochen Puchalla mail at puchalla-online.de
Sun Jul 22 10:55:43 CEST 2001

Christophe Rolland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i got a linux 2.4.2 on AMD 1 GHz, 256 MB mem
>         video card is an old ATI 8 MB with Mach64,
>         vlc comes from cvs (sometimes compiled with qt options)
>
> I cant make vlc display on sdl nor on xvideo (ok, surely i should more time
> on it and rtfm ). so i use x11 display, 16x16 bpp.
>
> whatever zone my dvd disk comes from, i got really poor performances, sound
> is sometimes desynchronized with video.
>
> can anyone help me or give me an advice ?
>
> would that be solved if i turn to an ATI rage 128 with 32 MB ?

I also have an ATI Mach64 8MB.
Plus a Duron800, 192MB100 2-2-2, XFree 4.0.3 16bpp,
NEC DV5800A in DMA-Mode, Kernel 2.4.6
Picture is just perfect with SDL(1.2.0)-output.
Only sometimes, there is a sync-problem as well (bad media?).
Audio is behind and catches up by playing too fast...

Nevertheless I'm very happy with vlc :-)

Jochen
--
                            Jochen Puchalla

"In a world without fences, who needs gates and windows ?"