vlc on dell inspiron 8000

Marcel J.E. Mol marcel at mesa.nl
Tue Jul 24 22:11:57 CEST 2001

Hi,
A second try...

For a couple of weeks now I try to get a working vlc on my inspiron
8000 laptop. Just tried the daily snapshot of july 24th. Butlike
all previous snapshots it still fails to show video for all output
formats (x11, sdl and xvideo). Sound works fine.
This is on a redhat 7.1 system. The laptop contains a Nvidia geforce 2
graphics adapter. X is running with the NVidia supplied drivers
(XFree 4.0.3) and recommended settings.

I also tried the ogle player and that one runs fine with sound
and video. It even works with the dvd menu system!

So my preliminary conclusion is that there might be someting wrong
with the initialisation of the video output of vlc. Could this be
hardware/driver dependent?
I thought at least 'vlc -V x11' should give me some video output
shouldn't it?

Any suggestions? If more info is needed let me know...

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.
    =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112