Reporting VLC usage on RedHat-7.1

Samuel Hocevar sam at zoy.org
Thu Jul 26 05:07:24 CEST 2001

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001, Samuel Hocevar wrote:

> > i.e. asm statements with no output operands and no "volatile" keyword.
> > Well the compiler would be quite in its rights to simply optimize them
> > away, wouldn't it?  After all, they are officially supposed to do
> > nothing at all.  Surely there's something wrong, here.
>
>    Adding volatile to the statement did not help here, but I'll have
> a look at the generated assembly to see what we may be doing wrong.

   Haha, found it. It looks like gcc removes everything after a "|"
character in an inline assembly statement. Replacing "|" with "/" in the
asm comments made it work.

   Not sure yet if it's a gcc bug or a badly documented feature, but
it's definitely strange behaviour. Fix will be in CVS in a few seconds.

--
Sam.