[ANN] vlc 0.2.81

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Mon Jul 30 21:13:04 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 01:11:24AM +1200, PhiloVivero wrote:
> Linux is a multitasking operating system with buffer cache. As VLC reads the DVD,
> Linux caches the information. As time passes, the cache becomes full, and Linux
> begins swapping out old processes (gstripchart backs up my hypothesis).

But shouldn't any program reading large files sequentially have this
problem?

I guess Linux should flush the cache (or parts of it), instead of swapping
to disk to get more memory for cache.

You can tune some memory-management parameters in /proc/sys/vm - maybe this
could help?

greetings, Florian Pflug