Audio/video speed-up in 0.2.81

Joe Laas joelaas at relgyro.stanford.edu
Sat Jul 28 07:32:35 CEST 2001

Hi everyone,

I just installed 0.2.81 on my system and, for the first time since
0.2.72, I
got it to compile (./configure --enable-alsa; make; make install) and
play
on the first try. For what it's worth, I have a RH6.2-ish system, kernel
2.2.19,
XFree86 3.3.6 (yeah, I know, it's old; I'm planning to upgrade soon)
running
on a 550MHz P3, 384MB of memory. (By the way, how does the client select

how much memory to use while running? Is there a recommended size?) This

latest build is *much* smoother and faster -- the bugfixes and other
improvements are really quite apparent. Way to go, guys!!!

One funny thing I did notice: if I right-click in the video window while
DVD is playing and select "Preferences...", both the video and audio get

speeded up a little bit. They don't lose sync -- they just play faster.
This
isn't too noticeable during dialogue scenes, but it's quite apparent if
there
is any music playing (it changes pitch!). Try it a few times and the
pitch
change gets really amusing. This seems to happen whether or not I
actually
change any preferences.

Also, is there an index of keyboard shortcuts available for viewing
somewhere?
I accidentally hit ESC during playback (while in full-screen mode) and
it locked
up the player such that I had to kill the task from another window. (To
be fair,
I tried it again and it just quit the vlc client -- the crash wasn't
repeatable.)

Anyway, kudos for the new release -- well done guys!

Cheers,

CF