More about XVideo

Keith Willoughby keith at flat222.org
Tue Jul 31 03:13:49 CEST 2001

"David Gmez" <davidge at jazzfree.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> The good news is that, as Michael said, xvideo support for Voodoo3 worked
> fine with XFree 4.1.0, so i downloaded it, and now the '-V xvideo' is
> working as expected.
> The bad news is that my speed improvement is 0. Same as with SDL/x11 (Yes,
> now i can get full screen video, but in the other hand i get cores every
> minute).
> So, where is the bottleneck, where frames are lost? This is the vlc output
> when playing some dvd:
>
> [...]
> vout warning: late picture skipped (0x81a8be8)
> vout warning: late picture skipped (0x81a8be8)

[...]

I got a load of those, too. Have you checked /var/log/messages? I'll
put money on there being DVD errors in there.

I have stuff like

Jul 31 02:05:29 cowtown kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jul 31 02:05:29 cowtown kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
Jul 31 02:05:36 cowtown kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jul 31 02:05:36 cowtown kernel: hdc: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30
Jul 31 02:05:36 cowtown kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset complete

It used to work perfectly. Unfortunately, I've since changed distro
(to Debian), kernel (to 2.4.6 from 2.4.0) and vlc version (to 0.2.81)
so working out what is wrong would be a challenge. It's also not
consistent - the disc that produced those erorrs worked faultlessly
the next time I tried it.

If I were to guess, I'd say it's either the kernel change, or my DVD
drive is faulty.

[...]

> Now, to everyone in the list, has anybody achieve _really_ smooth dvd
> playing with vlc ? and if so, which videocard/vlc config were you using?

X 4.1.0, nvidia GeForce 2 GTS, PIII 933, nvidia kernel + glx drivers
and SDL output have, in the past, worked flawlessly.

--
Keith Willoughby      |     Fire Jimy
This isn't TV, he isn't William Shatner