0.2.81 on freebsd

Bernhard Valenti bernhard.valenti at gmx.net
Tue Jul 31 02:19:36 CEST 2001

humm... i just tried the "native" freebsd sound driver, and the problem
disappeared. i'm using the commercial OSS drivers for my sblive usually.
are you using any weird sound stuff? cause other sound applications work fine.
when i use the esd plugin instead of dsp with the OSS drivers its much better
too, almost as good as with the native freebsd drivers and dsp.
oh, and i cant notice any pitch shifting with the freebsd drivers anymore.

the video is *much* smoother now, but still not perfect(but almost :). i didnt
take a look at the code, but are you doing any kind of buffering of the dvd
reads ? cause if you read from /dev/dvd on freebsd there is no read ahead
caching like on linux. some time ago i wrote some buffering code into the xine
dvd input module, and that did improve performance a lot.

btw: i'm really impressed how well vlc is working... very nice work

bernhard
(please cc replies to me, as i'm not subscribed to the list)