vlc crashes

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jun 5 18:33:16 CEST 2001

Hi everybody!
I was looking forward to the next vlc release and immediately
compiled the new 0.2.80 - which went without problems.
However, I cannot play DVDs anymore. Usually, I use xvideo or SDL as
video output and dsp as sound output, which until this release worked
fine. Now I always almost immediately after opening the DVD get
an error such as "invalid machine instruction" and everything crashes.
Playing a bit around withall the different possible modules for this
and that it seems that the error must be burried in the modules which use
sse (and thus have it in their name). Unfortunately, -vvvvvvv does not
give any further hints.
I am running a PIII 750 with 256 MB RAM and an ATI rage 128 mobility
graphic card and crystal sound fusion cs461x. Any suggestions what might
be wrong here?
N.B. If I try to use the modules without sse in their names (and without
3dnow, of course), things run a little bit longer, but vlc crashes after
a few seconds with "fifo full" etc.)

Michael