VLC and ASF

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sun Jun 10 21:14:10 CEST 2001

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Mayuresh A Kathe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > check out:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer/
>
> That one seems neat...
>
> But my simple question is, what would be a very easy and simple
> way to view the following URL:
> mms://wmservera.netbroadcaster.com/aat/120/f10255001b.asf

run windows...

> [Sorry if people are pissed off because it is off-topic]
>
> And yeah, is there any possibility of VLC having that capability?

The issue is pretty simple... the use and implentation of open standards
insures that a level playing field exists... reverse engineering closed
standards with onerous liscensing terms is a tough row to hoe... I and I
suspect many other people don't want to have to play in the microsoft (or
apple or real sandbox. encouraging your content provider to support open
standards is a more worthwile exercise than trying to build playback
tools.

I for one am concerned that while I'll probably be able to play back
mpeg-1 source files I generated five years ago ten years from now, I'm
pretty sure I won't be able to play back a microsoft mpeg-4 DRM wrappered
video clip encoded now five years from now...

Joel Jaeggli				       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services			     consult at gladstone.uoregon.edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.