VLC and ASF

PhiloVivero phiviv at hacklab.net
Sun Jun 10 21:44:25 CEST 2001

Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> I for one am concerned that while I'll probably be able to play back mpeg-1
> source files I generated five years ago ten years from now, I'm pretty sure
> I won't be able to play back a microsoft mpeg-4 DRM wrappered video clip
> encoded now five years from now...

This point is so important it bears emphasising, highlighting, repeating, and
saying again.

Open formats ensure that in 30 years you can get access at the encoded media.
Closed formats ensure that your encoded media will become hopelessly lost in
the future.

Unless someone can provide good, commented source code examples of how to
decode ASF or whatever Microsoft's format du jour is, I think it'd be a
disservice to everyone to even expend effort on it.

--
PhiloVivero