vlc-0.2.80 and Linux 2.2.x kernels

nick lidakis nick.lidakis at verizon.net
Sat Jun 16 07:03:36 CEST 2001

Michael Flohr wrote:

> Bill Piety wrote:
>
> > Yep - I'm using 0.2.80 with the original RH7 kernel. I had compiled the SDL
> > rpm from source before compiling the prior vlc 0.2.73. Did nothing at all
> > than d/l vlc 0.2.80, compile & install. I need no parameters at all - the
> > default is SDL. Playback is fine, but then so was 0.2.73.
>
> Hmm, so it sounds that it might not be a kernel problem after all.
> To be more specific:
> I have a 750 MHz Pentium III processor, 256 MByte RAM,
> and a ATI rage 128 mobility LF (AGP 2x) graphics card.
> I use XFree 4.0.1 and SDL 1.2, which I compiled myself.
> The system is SuSE Linux 7.0 with kernel 2.2.16.
>
> vlc-0.2.73 compiles and runs just fine,
> vlc-0.2.80 compiles fine, but crashes when using
> xvideo or SDL video output.
> The error message is in both cases:
> Gdk-ERROR **: BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter)
>       serial 39 error_code 178 request_code 146 minor_code 2
>
> So, might it be possible that xvideo and SDL support
> are somehow broken in the new release, and that this
> might be specific to my hardware or XFree version?
> Or does it have something to do with sound? But why
> would then '--vout x11' run without problems?
>
> Michael

just installed debian woody on thinkpad a22m PIII 900Mhz 128Mb Ram, ATI Rage 128
Mobility 128 M3, kernel 2.4.5 . I did
dpkg -i on the vlc 0.2.8 using XFree 4.0.3. Xvideo performance is spectacular on
the 15" 1400x1050 display. It rivals the mediamatics soft dvd player that came
reinstalled with windows 98 on the laptop. Video was fuzzy, with 2 light black
bars
above and below the picture. Vlc uses more of the screen and the movies are juts
gorgeous. No need for a windows partition.

Keep up the great work.

nick