vlc-0.2.80 and Linux 2.2.x kernels

Steven Anker steven at frog.nl
Mon Jun 18 09:20:01 CEST 2001

> just installed debian woody on thinkpad a22m PIII 900Mhz 128Mb Ram, ATI Rage 128
> Mobility 128 M3, kernel 2.4.5 . I did
> dpkg -i on the vlc 0.2.8 using XFree 4.0.3. Xvideo performance is spectacular on
> the 15" 1400x1050 display. It rivals the mediamatics soft dvd player that came
> reinstalled with windows 98 on the laptop. Video was fuzzy, with 2 light black
> bars
> above and below the picture. Vlc uses more of the screen and the movies are juts
> gorgeous. No need for a windows partition.

Yup, I'm running the vlc on the same kernel and I have the same ATI Rage
M3 cards, though my laptop is "only" 700Mhz. But the DVDs run very
smooth (except that I still don't have substitles). I'm not sure, but it
even looks like the DVDs look better than on my 700Mhz desktop machine
with win98. A pitty that the TVout of the ATI Rage 128 series is still
not supported.

By the way, I did replace the XFree 4.0.3 libi2c.a library by the one
from the GATOS project, which did improve the performance of my ATI card
somewhat in combination with vlc.

So the same complimenents from me.

--
Steven