Xinerama Issues?

Dag Bakke dagb at oslo.sgi.com
Wed Jun 20 09:46:32 CEST 2001

Christophe Massiot wrote:

> À (At) 14:31 -0500 19/06/01, Brian Eoff écrivait (wrote) :
>
> >     I am currently experincing trouble with vlc when using a Dual-Head
> >Display. VLC expands to the full screen size, but the video only plays
> >on the first screen. Normally I would just assume this is a feature to
> >be added later, but your screenshot page shows a shot of VLC runnig
> >across two displays using xinerama.
> >
> >     Any help would be much obliged. You have created a great piece of
> >software with VLC. Good luck with future developments.
>
> As far as I know, Xinerama doesn't work with Xvideo. You must use
> another output plugin, preferably x11 (but it will be slower...).

Depends on your definition of 'work'.

I don't think one Xv client can cover both monitors in a Xinerama setup.
If not for protocol reasons, at least my hardware (g450dh) simply isn't
capable of scaling the video on both channels.
But a Xv-client should be able to understand that fullscreen means all
of one monitor.

Yes, with Xinerama you only have display :0. But Xine and Xawtv behaves
as I want it to when going fullscreen with Xv in a Xinerama setup. Maybe
they are "cheating"?  :-)

Dag B