[OT] Looking for CSS encryption code

David Haworth david.haworth at altavista.net
Mon Jun 25 08:26:41 CEST 2001

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 12:51:56PM +1000, Chris Jensen wrote:
> Sorry I don't actually know the answer to your question, but I'm curious as
> to why you would want to do this, since CSS provides pretty weak encryption
> (AFAIK), and the only reason I could think you would want to do it is to
> make a DVD that can only be played in one region. But if you're not a member
> of the MPAA (which is a fair guess since you don't have access to the CSS
> encryption) why would you want to make a DVD with that sort of restriction?

I don't know if everyone here knows, but there's an EU directive been
passed recently that requires EU member states to enact legislation
similar to the DMCA in the USA. The exact wording is different,
however.

Firstly, it allows the word "effective" to retain its
usual English definition, which kind of makes the whole thing
self-contradictory - how can a protection mechanism that can be
circumvented be described as "effective"? However, that's not
relevant here.

Secondly, it prohibits "unauthorised" distribution of circumvention
devices but fails to define what "authorised" means, and who can
authorise the distribution. I'm working on the assumption that any
author who distributes copyrighted works "protected" by CSS can
authorised distribution of decryption programs - which would blow
the whole thing apart.

So basically I'm doing this to demonstrate how ridiculous these
copy protection laws are.

Dave

--
David Haworth