Hardware Requirements?

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Thu Jun 28 17:15:54 CEST 2001

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 10:03:12AM -0500, the Edward Blevins wrote:
> I've got a 550Mhz Athlon, and plenty of RAM; Debian Linux,
> with kernel 2.4.2-ac19; Voodoo3, with XFree86 4.0.2;
> When I try playing a DVD, it works, but it is very jerky. Just
> guessing I would say I'm getting every tenth frame or so.

this should, in theory, work. I've used vlc on a 550 athlon and it was
acceptable. not perfect, but acceptable.

> With this setup should I expect to be able to get smooth playback
> using the software decoding?

that is questionable. any reason why hardware acceleration is not
available?

> My DVD drive is IDE, but I'm using SCSI emulation (so I can use
> cdrecord with my CDR drive; Is there a way to use SCSI emulation
> with my CDR, but not the DVD drive (once again this is linux)?)
> and hdparm won't work on the dvd drive while SCSI emulation
> is being used. I'm going to build a kernel without SCSI emulation
> to see if tweaking with hdparm makes a difference.

I don't know if the scsi emulation will use dma and all the other nice
stuff. run vmstat 1 and check the output (esp. cpu times) for clues. I
suspect that there won't be any idle times left, but if there's a large
percentage spent on system time, then the above might be your problem.

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org