Hardware Requirements?

Matthew Gabeler-Lee msg2 at po.cwru.edu
Thu Jun 28 22:05:58 CEST 2001

the Edward Blevins wrote:

> Is there a way to use SCSI emulation
> with my CDR, but not the DVD drive (once again this is linux)?)
> and hdparm won't work on the dvd drive while SCSI emulation
> is being used.

kernel boot parameters: ide-scsi=hdb,hdc (IIRC)
or build it as a module, run hdparm before loading
When I used to use ide-scsi, I had some nasty, frequent hangs that I think
were related to DMA and ide-scsi not getting along well.  That might have
been related to running hdparm on other drives on the same channel as an
ide-scsi drive with ide-scsi built into the kernel.  I solved my problems by
replacing nearly all my ide components with scsi ones as I upgraded them
over time, but that's not a good solution for most people.

--
  -Matt

Using words to describe magic is like using a screwdriver to cut roast beef.
                -- Tom Robbins